This doesn’t need to be complicated, but having tried many different things here’s what I recommend:
- Have them, at least through U12
- Have your team parent assign the role alphabetically and the parents can switch amongst themselves as needed
- Ask that your team parent send a confirmation text to the snack parent the morning of the game. You won’t believe how often this little step saves the day
- Only do a drink at halftime. This can be an energy drink for U10 and above and a yogurt drink for youngers. Save the fruit or sugary snack for after the game.
- Fruit at halftime is not ideal because everyone is stuck peeling oranges or helping clean sticky fingers. It distracts from your coaching time with them
For a related topic on optimal nutrition, check here.